Immigration Resources

Immigration Resources

The following resources are intended to help immigrants know their rights and ensure they are prepared to defend themselves and the immigrant members of their families and communities. Below you'll find frequently asked questions, a bilingual power of attorney, and a list of free or low cost legal assistance. 

Commonly Asked Questions

1) What is a Power of Attorney?

A Power of Attorney is a document that allows you to give someone else the authority to care for and make decisions about your child or children.

2) Do I need to complete a separate form for each of my children? YES

3) In the Power of Attorney, what is the person who would get the authority to care for my child or children called?

An “Attorney in Fact”

4) Does the “Attorney in Fact” have to be an attorney? Does the “Attorney in Fact” have to be a person with some legal immigration status?

NO – An “Attorney in Fact” does not have to be an attorney. You can appoint any adult (18 years of age or over) who you trust and with whom your child/ren would feel comfortable. It is preferable if you appoint someone with legal immigration status, but it is not necessary.


5) What can an “Attorney in Fact” do?

The Power of Attorney allows you to give someone else the authority to do the following: (1) care for and provide for your child, (2) make medical and educational decisions, (3) approve and arrange for travel plans, (4) and handle any financial matters in which your child may be involved. You can specify which of these authorities you wish to delegate. You can check only some or you can check all of them. However, if you want the person to be able to fully care for your child if you are not able to do so, then you should check off all of the specific authorities.

6) Does the Power of Attorney have to be signed by both parents?

The Power of Attorney is best when signed by both parents. However, if that is not possible, you should still complete the form to the best of your ability. The form includes a section where one parent can explain why the other is not signing.

7) Does the Power of Attorney have to be witnessed?

In order to ensure the validity of the Power of Attorney, it should be witnessed by two people. These people do not have to have any immigration status, but they should be over 18 years old. However, if you cannot find any adult to witness your signature, or can only find one adult,  you should still complete the form to the best of your ability. The person you use to notarize the document cannot also be a witness.

8) Does the Power of Attorney have to be notarized?

In order to ensure the validity of the Power of Attorney, it should be notarized. However, if this is not possible, you should still complete the form to the best of your ability. A notary is someone who simply acknowledges that a person is signing a document. Getting someone to notarize a document should not cost more than $2.50, and in many cases will be free. Many banks and UPS stores have notaries on staff, who for this small fee will notarize documents. Some libraries have notaries on staff, who will do it for free. In addition, any attorney in New Jersey is a notary.

9) Does the Attorney in Fact need to sign the Power of Attorney? NO

10) Can someone other than a parent initiate a Power of Attorney?

YES – A person who has legal guardianship can enter into a Power of Attorney, and a person who has legal custody (as opposed to legal guardianship) may also be able to do so. You should complete the form if you are concerned about who will care for the child/ren in your care if you are unable to do so.

11) If I am an ORR sponsor, can I initiate a Power of Attorney?

MAYBE – An ORR sponsor who is not a parent and who has no Family Court order authorizing him or her to care for child cannot enter into a Power of Attorney. But an ORR sponsor who goes to Family Court and becomes the child’s legal guardian can initiate a Power of Attorney, and a sponsor who has obtained a legal custody order may also be able to do so.

12) Do I need to go to a lawyer to complete a Power of Attorney? NO – You do not need the assistance of an attorney to complete the Power of Attorney, but it may be helpful to consult a lawyer.


13) For how long is the Power of Attorney in place?

The Power of Attorney is only good for 6 months, but you can complete more than one.


14) Do I lose my authority as a parent if I enter into a Power of Attorney?

NO – While a Power of Attorney is in place, both the parent(s) and the “Attorney in Fact” can make decisions on behalf of the child.


15) How can I end a Power of Attorney?

You can end (“revoke”) the Power of attorney at any time. To revoke, you simply put in writing that you are revoking the Power of Attorney. It is best if the revocation is witnessed and notarized just like the Power of Attorney, but this is not necessary. You should give a copy of the revocation to the person you appointed as Attorney-in-Fact and try to get the original Power of Attorney back. It also would be a good idea to give a copy of the revocation to any doctor or school (or anyone else) who received a copy of the Power of Attorney. This is not necessary but is the best way to let people (such as doctors or teachers) know that the Power of Attorney is no longer in effect.

16) Once a Power of Attorney form is finalized, who should keep the original document?

The Attorney, in Fact, should keep the original notarized document and the parent should keep a copy. It may also be useful to give copies to the children and/or other close family friends or relatives.

17) Will the Power of Attorney keep DCPP (child welfare officials) from taking custody of my child?

The Power of Attorney shows that you made a plan for someone else to care for your child if you could not. However, if DCPP has concerns about the welfare of your child, it may still act to protect the child.

18) Is this Power of Attorney good in other states?

NO – This power of attorney is only good for New Jersey. Do not share it with family members in other states. If you have family members outside of New Jersey, they should look for similar documents in their home state.

19) If my child is a U.S. Citizen should I get him or her a passport?

YES – If possible, parents should get U.S. passports for their U.S. citizen children. It is difficult for anyone other than the parents to obtain a passport for a child. Therefore, you should get a passport for your child if you want to make sure the child can travel to another country (including any country to which you or other family members might return). The Power of Attorney allows you to authorize the Attorney, in Fact, to make travel arrangements and purchase airline tickets for the child/ren, but the Attorney, in Fact, will probably not be able to get the child/ren a passport.

20) How can I get a U.S. Passport for my child?

You can get a passport at the Post Office and other places that advertise that they accept passport applications. For information on how to get a passport for a child under 16 years of age, go to this link. Passports for children under 16

21) What are the necessary steps to get a passport?

1. Fill Out Form DS11 2. Provide Proof of the child’s U.S. Citizenship (e.g., U.S. Birth Certificate) 8 3. Bring a Photocopy of the Proof of U.S. Citizenship (copy the back and the front of the document) 4. Show Parental Relationship (U.S. Birth Certificate, Adoption decree, divorce/custody decree) 5. Present your own ID (a foreign passport is okay) 6. Bring a Photocopy of your ID (copy front and back) 7. Show Parental Consent (Both parents must consent unless one parent has sole legal custody. It is best if both go to the passport office. If this is not possible, a parent can consent by completing Form DS-3053. If a parent cannot be located, then form DS-5525 can be submitted) 8. Provide a 2×2” Portrait Photo of the Child 9. Pay the fees (Total is usually $100) 10. Submit Your Completed Application

22) What can I do if I have additional questions about Powers of Attorney? Contact Randi Mandelbaum at the Child Advocacy Clinic at Rutgers Law School. The clinic’s number is 973-353-3196 or she can be reached by email at




Preguntas Más Frecuentes


1) ¿Que es un Poder Legal?

Un Poder Legal es un documento que te permite darle la autoridad para cuidar y tomar decisiones sobre tu hijo(a) o hijos(as) a otra persona.

2) ¿Necesito completar un formulario separado para cada uno de mis hijos(as)? SI

3) ¿En el Poder Legal, como se llama la persona quien recibiría la autoridad para cuidar a mi(s) hijo(s)? Un “Apoderado Legal” 

4) ¿El “Apoderado Legal” tiene que ser un abogado? ¿El

“Apoderado Legal” tiene que ser una persona con algún estatus migratorio legal? NO – Un “Apoderado Legal” no tiene que ser un abogado. Tu puedes designar a cualquier adulto (18 años o más) en quien confíe y con quien sus hijos se sientan cómodos. Es preferible designar a alguien con estatus legal de inmigración, pero no es necesario.

5) ¿Qué puede hacer un “Apoderado Legal”?

El Poder Legal le permite dar a otra persona la autoridad para hacer lo siguiente: (1) cuidar y proveerle a tu hijo(a), (2) tomar decisiones médicas y educativas, (3) aprobar y arreglar planes de viaje, (4) y manejar cualquier asunto financiero en el cual su niño(a) pueda estar involucrado. Usted puede especificar cuáles de estas autoridades desea delegar. Usted puede marcar solo algunas o puedes marcar todas las autoridades. Sin embargo, si desea que la persona tenga el poder de cuidar a su hijo(a) por completo en caso de que usted no pueda hacerlo, entonces usted debe marcar todas las autoridades específicas.  

6) ¿El Poder Legal tiene que estar firmado por ambos padres?

El Poder Legal es mejor cuando es firmado por ambos padres. Sin embargo, si eso no es posible, todavía debe completar el formulario lo mejor que pueda. El formulario incluye una sección donde uno de los padres puede explicar por qué el otro no está firmando.

7) ¿El Poder Legal tiene que ser testificado?

Para asegurar la validez del Poder Legal, debe ser presenciado por dos personas. Estas personas no tienen que tener ningún estatus migratorio, pero deben tener más de 18 años de edad. Sin embargo, si no puede encontrar ningún adulto para presenciar su firma, o sólo puede encontrar un adulto, debe completar el formulario de la mejor manera posible. La persona que utilices para notarizar el documento no puede ser también un testigo.

8) ¿El Poder Legal tiene que ser notarizado?

Para garantizar la validez del Poder Legal, debe de ser notarizado. Sin embargo, si esto no es posible, debe completar el formulario de la mejor manera posible. Un notario es una persona que simplemente reconoce que una persona esta firmando un documento. Conseguir que alguien le notarize un documento no debe costar más de $2.50, y en muchas casos, será gratis. Muchos bancos y tiendas de UPS tienen notarios en el personal, que por esta pequeña cuota notarizará documentos. Algunas bibliotecas tienen notarios en el personal, que lo harán de forma gratuita. Además, cualquier abogado en New Jersey es un notario. 

9) ¿El Apoderado Legal tiene que firmar el Poder Legal? NO

10) ¿ Puede alguien que no sea un padre iniciar un Poder Legal?

SI – Una persona que tiene tutela legal puede entrar en un Poder Legal, y una persona que tiene custodia legal (en lugar de tutela legal) también pudiera hacerlo. Usted debe llenar el formulario si le preocupa quién cuidará a los niños(as) que están bajo su cuidado si usted no puede hacerlo.

11) ¿Si soy un patrocinador de ORR, puedo iniciar un Poder Legal?

Quizás– Un patrocinador de ORR que no es un padre y que no tiene una orden de la Corte de Familia autorizandolo(a) a cuidar al niño(a) no puede entrar en un Poder Legal. Pero un patrocinador de ORR que acude al Tribunal de Familia y se convierte en el tutor legal del niño(a) puede iniciar un Poder Legal, y un patrocinador que haya obtenido una orden de custodia legal también pudiera hacerlo. 

12) ¿Necesito ir a un abogado para completar un Poder Legal?

NO – Usted no necesita la ayuda de un abogado para completar el Poder Legal, pero puede ser útil consultar a un abogado. 

13) ¿Por cuánto tiempo esta vigente el Poder Legal?

El Poder Legal solo es válido por 6 meses, pero puede completar más de uno. 

14) ¿Pierdo mi autoridad como padre si entro en un Poder Legal?

NO –Mientras que un Poder Legal este vigente, ambos padres y el Apoderado Legal pueden tomar decisiones en nombre del niño(a). 

15) ¿Como puedo cancelar un Poder Legal?

Usted puede cancelar (“revocar”) el Poder Legal en cualquier momento. Para revocar, usted simplemente pone por escrito que está revocando el Poder Legal. Es mejor si la revocación sea testificada y notarizada como el Poder Legal, pero esto no es necesario. Usted debe dar una copia de la revocación a la persona que usted designó como Apoderado Legal y tratar de recuperar el Poder Legal original. También sería una buena idea darle una copia de la revocación a cualquier médico o escuela (o cualquier otra persona) que recibió una copia del Poder Legal. Esto no es necesario, pero es la mejor manera de dejar que las personas (como los médicos o maestros) sepan que el poder de abogado ya no está en vigor.

16) ¿Un vez que se haya finalizado el formulario de Poder Legal, quién debe conservar el documento original?

El Apoderado Legal debe quedarse con el documento notarizado original y el padre debe quedarse con una copia. También puede ser útil dar copias a los niños(as) y/ oa otros amigos o familiares cercanos.

17) ¿Podrá el Poder Legal evitar que DCPP (oficiales de bienestar infantil) tome custodia de mi hijo(a)?

El Poder Legal muestra que usted hizo un plan para que otra persona cuide a su niño(a) si usted no podría. Sin embargo, si DCPP tiene preocupaciones sobre el bienestar de su hijo, todavía puede actuar para proteger al niño(a).

18) ¿Este Poder Legal es valido en otros estados? NO – Este poder sólo es valido para New Jersey. No lo compartas con familiares de otro estados. Si tiene familiares fuera de New Jersey, debe buscar documentos similares en su estado de origen.

19) ¿Si mi hijo(a) es un ciudadano estadounidense debo conseguirle un pasaporte?

Si – Si es posible, los padres deben obtener pasaportes estadounidenses para sus hijos ciudadanos estadounidenses. Es difícil para cualquier persona que no sea el padre obtener un pasaporte para un niño(a). Por lo tanto, debe obtener un pasaporte para tu hijo(a) si desea asegurarse de que el niño(a) puede viajar a otro país (incluyendo cualquier otro país al cual usted u otro familiares puedan regresar). El Poder Legal te permite autorizar al Apoderado Legal para hacer arreglos de viaje y comprar boletos de avión para los niños, pero el Apoderado Legal probablemente no será capaz de obtenerle un pasaporte a su hijo(s).

20) ¿Cómo puedo obtener un pasaporte estadounidense para mi hijo(a)? Usted puede obtener un pasaporte en el correo y en otros lugares que anuncian que aceptan solicitudes de pasaporte. Para obtener información sobre cómo obtener un pasaporte para un niño menor de 16 años de edad, visite este enlace.

21) ¿Cuáles son los pasos necesarios para obtener un pasaporte?

1. Llene el formulario DS11 2. Proporcione prueba de la Ciudadanía de los Estados Unidos (por ejemplo, Certificado de Nacimiendo de los EE. UU.) 3. Traiga una fotocopia de la prueba de Ciudadanía de los EE. UU. (copie la parte de atrás y el frente del documento) 4. Muestre Relación Parental ( Certificado de Nacimiento de los Estados Unidos, Decreto de adopción, decreto de divorcio/ custodia) 5. Presente su propia identificación (un pasaporte extranjero está bien) 6. Traiga una fotocopia de su identificación (copie la parte de atrás y el frente) 7. Muestre el consentimiento de los padres (ambos padres deben dar su consentimiento a menos que uno de los padres tenga la custodia legal exclusiva. Lo mejor es que ambos padres vayan a la oficina de pasaportes. Si esto no es posible, un padre puede consentir llenando el Formulario DS-3053. Si uno de los padres no puede ser localizado, entonces el Formulario DS-5525 puede ser presentado.) 8. Proporcione una foto de retrato 2×2” del niño(a). 9. Pague los honorarios (el total es generalmente $100) 10. Presente su solicitud completada.

22) ¿Qué puedo hacer si tengo preguntas adicionales sobre Poderes Legales?

Póngase en contacto con Randi Mandelbaum en la Clínica de Defensa del Niño en la Facultad de Derecho de Rutgers. El número de la clínica es 973- 353-3196 o se puede comunicar con ella por correo electrónico a 

Legal Assistance

Michael Noriega
Attorney at Law
Bramnick, Rodriguez, Grabas, Arnold, & Mangan, LLC
1827 East Second Street
Scotch Plains, NJ 0706
(908) 322-7000

Gustavo Gutierrez
Attorney at Law
American Friends Service Committee
Immigrant Rights Program
89 Market Street, 6th Fl.
Newark, NJ 07102
(973) 643-1924


List of Free or Low Cost Legal Assistance in NJ


Leave A Reply:

(optional field)

No comments yet.